Former lurker, now blogger. I’m a mom who knits, writes, and tries to manage the chaos that three kids and a puppy stir up.
Here are a few random facts about me:
- I studied Latin and ancient Greek. Yes, I did.
- I drive a minivan. My Jedi name would be Joan VanDriver.
- I hate chipmunks. Sure, they’re cute, but let’s be clear: they’re still rodents.
- I make apple pie and snickerdoodles for my family because they love them, but I am not a fan. There’s no chocolate in them. Why waste the calories?
- I don’t drink soda anymore. I used to have a serious Diet Coke habit, but I gave it up. Took me six hard months to lose my taste for it, although now I drink way too much coffee.
- I enjoy the first four hours of any DIY project and then I just want the darn thing finished.
- I do not have a green thumb, but I love having a vegetable garden.
- Summer is my fourth favorite season. I know, I know — everyone loves summer, but I often find it to be too hot, too bright, too much. It’s not that I hate it — I just like the other three seasons better.
- I love Chicago.
- I knit when I can, dream about knitting when I can’t, and dislike crochet. Let’s not talk about the hook, m’kay?
- I did live in the South for a time in both high school and grad school. And yes, I inadvertently slip into Southerisms like “All y’all,” and “fixin’ to” (as in, ”Are all y’all fixin’ to go to the mall?”). It tickles my Chicago-born-and-bred husband to no end.
- I wish I could play musical instruments with ease and authority. I cannot.
Feel free to share in the comments or drop me a line at thethingaboutjoan AT gmail DOT com. Thanks for stopping by!